Your jobsite is full of the noise of the electric drill or the rhythmic banging of the hammer or your friends bickering and cussing each other out. Youre used to it and you dont mind the chaos during hectic projects such as bathroom or kitchen remodeling, but there are instances when you want something that will take your mind off the noise. Or maybe you dont want to miss the news or the weekly top ten countdown even when youre at work. Listening to Spotify on your mobile phone with your earbuds on is definitely out of the question for safety reasons, so you opened your computer and now youre looking for the best jobsite radios available online.
But there are so many products being hailed as the best jobsite radios for 2020, and youre feeling pretty overwhelmed.
Who makes the best jobsite radios?
Is it even possible to find the best jobsite radios with Bluetooth? What are the features to consider when choosing the perfect radio?
In this best jobsite radio review, were going to take a look at seven products that we think are perfect for contractors, carpenters, or do-it-yourself enthusiasts who only have time to work on their projects during the weekend. But first, a few important things to know about jobsite radios.
- Powered by 20V/60V FLEXVOLT Dewalt batteries as well as AC power cord.
- 3 AMP Charging of 20V/60V Dewalt batteries when unit is plugged into AC power
- Bluetooth connectivity up to 100 ft
- 2 Additional AC power outlets
- Aux & 2.1 AMP USB Charging Ports
- Delivers rich stereo sound from two powerful 3" side-firing Speakers
- Up to 35 hours of continuous use with 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 5.0Ah battery (battery not included)
- Compatible with 7.2V, 12V max, 12V max CXT, 14.4V, and 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries
- Protective bumper design for added durability
- 5 preset FM/AM buttons
- Rugged Industrial Grade Digital PLL Synthesized AM / FM Radio with 10 Station Memory Presets (5 AM, 5 FM) and Dynamic Loudness
- Rain Resistant to JIS4 Standard, Dust and Shock Resistant with Rubber Shock-Blocks
- Compact Roll-Cage Protective Design Resists Impacts and Drops while Remaining Highly Portable, Rugged Rotary Tuning and Volume Controls with Durable ABS Plastic Body
- 5 1/4 Inch Water Resistant High Powered Speaker, Backlit Display and Compact Flexible Antenna
- Operates with 9-foot Attached AC Power Cord or 4 C Batteries (not included)
- Ultra-thin compact size allows convenient storage, including L-BOXX system
- High-performance 2 by 5-watt neodymium speakers for maximum sound clarity and quality
- Integrated AC adapter storage for convenient storage when not in use
- High strength shock-absorbing housing and handles for maximum robustness and protection
- AC/DC power compatibility powered by Bosch AC adapter (included) or Bosch 12-volt lithium-ion batteries and chargers (sold separately)
- PLAY YOUR MUSIC from a smartphone with the integrated Bluetooth technology or through the onboard auxiliary in port
- CHARGE YOUR DEVICES with the added USB port. Keep your phone accessible on the back of the system with the integrated strap. Keep your accessories back there, as well
- AM / FM RADIO enhanced with a sturdy rubber antenna that conveniently folds into the system when youre finished
- ONE+ COMPATIBLE: This portable radio works with any Ryobi One+ Lithium Ion Battery (P100, P101, P102, P103, P104, P105, P107, P108)
- ONBOARD CLOCK powered by AAA batteries will keep time for months, if not years
- Charges PORTER-CABLE 20V max* batteries
- Am/FM and auxiliary port for versatile music play
- Cordless or corded power options
- Durable roll cage for protection on the jobsite
- Part of the 20V max system
- CHARGE YOUR DEVICES: Keep your phone tucked into the back of the radio and out of harms way. Smart phones can be kept in the special onboard compartment thats loaded with a 2.1A USB charging port
- SHOCK ABSORBING END CAPS: This radio is built to last, with the rubberized end pieces able weather drops and other impacts regularly found on the jobsite
- DIGITAL AM / FM TUNER: You can have up to 10 presets stored on this radio at once, letting you and your crew keep your favorite stations stored for easy access
- STACKABLE DESIGN: The rectangular shape of the radio is designed to sit flush in cars, boxes, and bags while having tools and other supplies stacked on top
- M18 COMPATIBLE: This Milwaukee power tool works with M18 18v lithium ion Milwaukee batteries. Compatible models include the 48-11-1860, 48-11-1850, 48-11-1828, and 48-11-1815, 48-11-1840, 48-11-1820
Essential Jobsite Radio Features
Durability and weather-resistance
The worksite is notoriously unforgiving on tools, equipment, and other devices. Damaging debris fly here and there. You or your colleague frequently knock a tool off the table. You even left a radio outside once while you were working on some household project, and was dismayed to find out that its surface had droplets of water on it.
Because of the environment and the mishaps that could happen in the workplace, the first thing you need to consider when finding the best jobsite radio is that is both durable and can withstand a harsh environment.
Choose a worksite radio with a solid casing/body. Some radios have a shock-absorbing cases/edges, while others have roll cages to ensure that they will still end up in one piece even when they are dropped or knocked off from a shelf or a table.
Also, make sure that the base is solid and stable.
Weight and Portability
Consider the radios overall weight and size when choosing one. Remember that youll be carrying other tools and equipment from your house to your car to your worksite, so its important to keep it light and portable. Plus, theres not a lot of room in a jobsite so its necessary to keep it compact.
But if you want something more solid and heavyweight because you dont want it to be knocked off by a light wind or someone elses elbow, then go ahead and purchase the heavier, bulkier ones.
You can power a jobsite radio simply by plugging it into an electrical outlet. Others, meanwhile, only accept lithium-ion batteries or your regular alkaline batteries. The good news is there are versatile products, however, that can be powered by an AC power cord and batteries.
If youre working in a site that has access to an electrical outlet, then a product that is powered by an AC cord might be the best jobsite radio for you. But if youre into portability or you dont have access to an outlet at the worksite, then its best to buy a jobsite radio that is powered by alkaline or lithium-ion batteries.
Testing its sound quality is impossible if you are buying a jobsite radio online. You can either go to the store itself to test it or read some of the best jobsite radio reviews online so you can determine which product has the best sound.
Your budget, perhaps, is one of the most important things you need to consider when buying a jobsite radio. Some of the most affordable jobsite radios can be purchased for as low as $40. But if you can afford to splurge, then go ahead and find the priciest jobsite radio you can find.
Other features you might want to consider when buying a jobsite radio.
- Smartphone and other device charging capability
- Battery charging capability
- Bluetooth connectivity
- The presence of a USB port and an auxiliary port
How To Prolong The Life Of Your Jobsite Radio
Whether its cheap or it cost you an arm and a leg, you need to make sure that your jobsite radio is properly taken care of to ensure that it will last longer. Check out our tips on how to properly take care of your shiny new radio.
- Read the product manual thoroughly.
- Place the jobsite radio in a well-ventilated area and on a stable shelf or table.
- Do not place the unit near water or heat sources.
- Always use accessories recommended by the manufacturer.
- Do not use batteries other than those specified by the manufacturer.
- Refer the radio to qualified personnel in case of damage. Do not attempt to DIY it.
Check out some of our favorite jobsite radios below.
- This jobsite radio is powered by an AC power cord and two types of DeWalt batteries. The battery is being charged while the cord is plugged in.
- It allows you to play your favorite songs from your phone thanks to the Bluetooth connectivity.
- Sound quality is great, and you can adjust the sound to your preference with the built-in equalizer.
- It has an LCD on top that indicates the battery charging status.
- The unit is designed with a handy storage compartment at the bottom front. It also has USB and auxiliary ports inside.
- The radio has solid rollover protection.
- It is bulky and heavy.
- The radios FM radio reception is so-so. The reception, however, can depend on the signal of your favorite radio stations and whether you have an indoor or outdoor jobsite.
The DeWalt 20V MAX Bluetooth Jobsite Radio and Battery Charger (DCR025) might be the perfect jobsite radio for you if you dont mind the price and the bulk.
It has almost everything you need in a good jobsite radio: good sound quality, durability, and some great features. It has a mute button for when you want to talk with a colleague or a client, as well as robust rollover protection.
Plus, it has two AC power outlets on the side. The Bluetooth connectivity and the illuminated display on top are other great features of this jobsite radio. It is easily one of the best jobsite radios with Bluetooth on our list. It even has a handy bottle opener at the side!
But it is pricey and bulky, so consider these factors before you purchase this radio.
- The units whole body is more compact and streamlined than other jobsite radios. No awkwardly shaped edges for you here.
- It is lightweight and not bulky. Ideal for worksites with little space to spare.
- It is powered by an AC cord, but it is also compatible with different types of batteries (7.2V, 12V max, 12V max CXT, and 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries).
- The sound quality is pretty good.
- The edges are wrapped in protective bumpers.
- You need to purchase the batteries and charger separately.
- No Bluetooth connectivity.
There are a lot of things I find impressive with the Makita XRM05W Jobsite Radio. Makita, in itself, is one of those companies who makes the best jobsite radios. It is compact and obviously well designed. The antenna can be detached and attached whenever you want, while the handle can be folded to get it out of the way if youre going to put it in a shelf.
There is one auxiliary port so you can listen to music via phone. It is light, portable, and ideal for any jobsite. But the most impressive thing about it is you can bring it to life with an AC cord or an assortment of compatible batteries you might already have in your storage box.
While some important features are missing in this radio (no Bluetooth or USB port), this jobsite radio is still a good choice thanks to its basic features, compact design, and reasonable price.
- This jobsite radio has a JIS4 standard rating, ensuring that it is water-resistant.
- It is designed with a unique roll cage that doubles as a handle.
- The unit can be powered by an AC cord or 4 C batteries.
- Unique design and color.
- Crisper sound with its adjustable bass.
- The whole unit is incredibly bulky.
- Manual scan only.
- Very basic jobsite radio.
The Sangean LB-100 Ultra Rugged Compact AM / FM Radio is probably one of the most uniquely designed jobsite radios in the list. It kind of looks like a camera and car battery rolled into one. It is affectionately called the Lunchbox thanks to its similarity to the lunchboxes you probably had when you were a kid.
Unlike other jobsite radios, this ones built for the outdoors thanks to its water-resistant construction and roll cage. You can power it indoors with an AC power cord, or bring it outdoors and use batteries to listen to your favorite music.
There are a lot of features missing in this particular jobsite radio (no Bluetooth, USB port, or aux port). But if you want something that will do the job and is affordable, then this might be the ideal jobsite radio for you.
- This Bosch jobsite radio has a very lightweight construction and compact design. Place it on top of one of your work tables or hang it on the wall to listen to music.
- It comes with an AC adapter or you can powered it with a 12V battery.
- It allows you to listen to music saved on your iPod or phone thanks to its auxiliary port.
- The back has a discreet and neat compartment for the AC adapter.
- It can be stored in the Bosch L-Boxx system (if you own one).
- Turning up the volume can quickly drain your battery.
- It doesnt have Bluetooth connectivity or a USB port.
The features of this Bosch jobsite radio is certainly impressive. It has a futuristic yet ergonomic design, while the protective edges also double as handles.
The sound quality is superb thanks to its neodymium speakers. Working indoors? Then simply plug in its AC adapter to enjoy your favorite music. But you can also use an optional 12V lithium-ion battery if you need to work outdoors or if the electrical outlet is too far.
Keep in mind that you need to purchase the 12V lithium-ion and charger separately. Overall, this is a good jobsite battery thanks to its good quality and reasonable price tag.
- It is one of the most compact and lightweight jobsite radios.
- It has built-in Bluetooth connectivity so you can listen to your favorite songs from your phone. It also has an auxiliary port.
- It has a USB port that allows you to charge your smartphone.
- With an integrated strap that keeps your phone in place at the back.
- It doesnt have an AC adapter, so you need to have a fully charged 18V battery always on hand.
- The battery is plugged in at the bottom, so it serves as its base. It is not included in the package.
If you need a radio that delivers when it comes to quality and is affordable at the same time, then the Ryobi P742 One+ might just be the perfect product for you. Although it is light and compact, it packs a punch when it comes to sound quality and volume. Its size is also ideal for small worksites, while its portability makes it perfect for outdoor jobsites.
It also has features pricier radios do not possess. It has built-in Bluetooth technology, so youre not stuck with lousy AM and FM stations you dont want to listen to. It has a nice LCD, auxiliary port, and a USB port. Plus, its color makes it pop out the perfect contrast to your dreary jobsite. It is affordable, making it one of my clear favorites.
- The radios unique rollover cage also double as handles.
- It has a large illuminated display.
- Two power options. Bring it to life with a power cord or a 20V battery.
- It has an auxiliary port, so you can connect your phone and listen to your favorite tunes.
- It doesnt have built-in Bluetooth.
The design of the Porter-Cable PCCR701B 20V MAX Corded/Cordless Jobsite Radio is impressive, but its more than that. The sound quality and AM/FM reception are superb. Listen to your favorite tunes as you work indoors by plugging it into an electrical socket, or outdoors by plugging a battery into it.
It looks like an old-timey radio, but what sets it apart are the bumpers or rollover cages that surround and protect it.
My main gripe is that its a little on the pricey side considering it doesnt have Bluetooth connectivity. Other than that, it could be one of the best jobsite radios for 2020.
- It has a solid design and protective edges.
- It has a retro feel to it.
- A handy little compartment is located on top of the radio. You can charge your smartphone here too.
- You can plug it into a wall outlet or power up with an 18V battery.
- It is too large for a jobsite radio.
- It doesnt have built-in Bluetooth.
The Milwaukee 2890-20 Jobsite Radio will appeal to people who want something more robust and a bit more retro. It has a solid and bulky design, and the body is protected with protective edges. If you dont mind the size, then it might be a good jobsite radio for you.
The sound quality is solid and impressive, and you have the option to listen to AM and FM stations or plug your phone in the auxiliary port so you can listen to music saved in it. It doesnt have Bluetooth connectivity though, so that completes its retro vibe.
The product overall is impressive, but Milwaukee would do well to upgrade some of its features and design because its already 2020.
The clear winner for the best jobsite radio for 2020 is the DeWalt 20V MAX Bluetooth Jobsite Radio and Battery Charger (DCR025).
So why do we love this? Let us count the ways.
You might say that all jobsite radios are the same. Theres the basic AM/FM tuner, volume control, durable casing, and good sound quality.
What sets the DeWalt DCR025 apart is its Bluetooth connectivity which allows you to connect your smartphone to the unit and listen to your favorite tunes minus the USB cord. This is one of the best jobsite radios with Bluetooth in our list. But if you dont want your phones battery to be drained quickly, then you can turn the Bluetooth feature off and listen to your favorite FM station or connect your phone to the radio via USB or auxiliary port.
Another feature that sets it apart is the small compartment at the front. What makes it even better is that the USB and auxiliary ports are located inside the compartment so you can store your phone inside while it is connected to one of the ports.
It is powered by an AC power cord, so you can listen to your favorite sports broadcast while working indoors or wherever you have access to an electrical outlet. But if youre going to work outdoors or if you want to bring it to the next company picnic, you have the option to use compatible DeWalt batteries.
The body of the unit is solid and its not easy to knock off from where it sits. But in cases when its knocked off a table or a shelf, then rest assured that it will not break apart easily thanks to its robust rollover protection. You can trust this brand when it comes to quality as DeWalt is one of those companies who makes the best jobsite radios.
Thats it for us, and I hope you enjoyed and have learned a lot in this best jobsite radio review.
The post 7 Best Jobsite Radios [2020 Review] appeared first on Home Remodeling Contractors | Sebring Design Build.